New member information

First time user information
jmurray2112
Site Admin

New member information

Postby jmurray2112 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:06 pm

Welcome to the ADV Leather forums. We are happy that you've chosen to participate. Please feel free to post any questions here about how the forum works, what we are trying to accomplish here, or any problems you may be having with the forum itself.
"Tens of thousands of cat scratch repairs later, I still have two cats. I'm not very smart, evidently."

Ygillan

Re: New member information

Postby Ygillan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:48 am

I am glad to be of assistance should the need arise.

jmurray2112
Site Admin

Postby jmurray2112 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:55 pm

the need will arise, I assure you.
"Tens of thousands of cat scratch repairs later, I still have two cats. I'm not very smart, evidently."

Dman

Postby Dman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Will you use this as a forum to add all the technical and various knowledge of both ADV products and possibly the things that maybe other people in the community have found to work well, with application ideas, tools, equipment, etc.? I see this as tremendous tool and resource once data gets loaded especially if it can be easily looked at on phone while on a job and having a question that is basic, yet something we forgot due to not using the information in a long time. IE: Colors and how they were mixed or basic directions of how something was done. Looking forward to the growth!

jmurray2112
Site Admin

Postby jmurray2112 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:44 pm

That's the idea, although we may want to establish knowledge base articles separate from the forum. This is all still undiscovered country so far, so how it evolves will have to be based on usage and discussion.

fixNstitch

Postby fixNstitch » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Is the forum open to threads about the repair of vinyl, plastic, and fabric as well? Or strictly leather? 8-)

jmurray2112
Site Admin

Postby jmurray2112 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:33 pm

As long as it is relevant to those participating here, it's fine with me, though I probably won't have much to contribute on plastic or fabric. Those are both outside my wheel-house.

jmurray2112
Site Admin

Postby jmurray2112 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:30 pm

I would urge those of you who browse the forum as a guest to join. You may never post, but the option is always available to you. Whether you are a technician, or just interested in the trade from the perspective of someone who has a project to complete, you will most likely have questions that you want answered.
The nature of our business is self-oriented. A service business relies on the knowledge and abilities of the practitioner, and whether you enter it as an independent, or a franchisee, your success is based on your own abilities and ambitions rather than your entrance into your marketplace, or a larger entity granting you space in the same.
I have spent almost 30 years in dialog with others in this trade, and that has allowed me to gain knowledge, as well as share it. Whatever your technical challenge, this is a good place to try and figure it out.
Just my opinion.

Barbary Coast

Postby Barbary Coast » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:29 pm

[quote=fixNstitch post_id=23 time=1521332236 user_id=68]
Is the forum open to threads about the repair of vinyl, plastic, and fabric as well? Or strictly leather? 8-)
[/quote]

We weld vinyl on door panels and seats, after the weld we spray grain, color coat and clear. In some cases we use graining pads but as a rule the spray grain works the best for us. Did fabric repair but the call is not there for us, we mostly do the leather and some vinyl.