Calf leather (kid glove )

A place to ask and answer technical questions about repair and restoration
SDleather

Calf leather (kid glove )

Postby SDleather » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:07 pm

I have a calf leather the designer calls it (kidglove leather)
Very faded and dry, but still buttery soft.
I moisturized it , just drank it in. But while wet certain areas are significantly darker. When it dries it mostly evens out, but I’m worried about rubbing color on, Will it take darker in those areas.
Would like your advise?
Maybe just Hydrate since it revived the color a bit and put a top coat for protection ?
Thanks in advance

jmurray2112
Site Admin

Re: Calf leather (kid glove )

Postby jmurray2112 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:06 pm

The issue with applying color to calf or kid is the open pore structure like you described. It's easy to turn it from that soft, buttery flex to a shower curtain by applying too much resin. I usually spray on light coats of primer first to increase the hold-out before applying any color. Wiping on is too hard to control the amount applied. When I do apply color, I only put on the least amount needed to conceal the repair, or accomplish the restoration. Same with top-coat application.
It's good that you took the time to moisturize it before doing any priming or color work. Any darkening that remains after the moisturizer carrier evaporates probably won't last, so if you are trying to darken faded areas, coloring them is the only lasting solution, like any other unfinished leather.